It is not a secret that essays are the most effective and convincing way to state the particular point of view, position relating a particular topic or opinion about any occasion. Often times an essay is used to analyze some problem at hand, share the results of a survey or experiment, etc. It also can help in problem solving. So, what are the advantages and positive effects of cause and effect college essays?
- The students have an opportunity to demonstrate their analytical skills.
- Such essays require the proper sequence of the information, so the students have to think and write critically.
- Via this type of essays, the students show how well they orient in the studying material.
- Typically, cause and effect essays are based on some research work, so the proper essay prove that its author knows how to conduct the research.
- As these essays explain cause and effect of the particular event or decision, the student must be able to use the methods of scientific problem-solving and root cause analysis.
It is obvious that such essays may be challenging. However, the experience in writing such essays will come in handy not only in studying but also in working. So, let us see how to write this type of essays properly.
The features of a cause and effect essay outline
In this type of essays, the outline is crucial. You have to clearly understand what information should go first, how to connect the paragraphs, and how to stick to the central purpose. It is expedient to write the first draft of the outline at the beginning of your work and edit it as the research is done. Use the topic as the guide when creating an outline. The simple outline looks like:
- Introduction. It has to be well written, capturing part that explains the situation clearly and interestingly. Provide the information that urged you to analyze the topic.
For example, you were talking with your classmate about the last technological advancements. This conversation led you to the point that modern children spend a lot of time with different gadgets. Thus, you decided to find out what caused such tendency. You have to finish your introduction with a question like “Why are the devices so popular among children?”
- The body. As a rule, an essay’s body consists of several theses that prove or contradict the particular idea or point of view. When writing cause and effect essay, in the first sentence of the paragraph you should give the answer to the question from the intro.
Let us move back to the example provided above. It is possible to start the first body paragraph with a sentence like “The main reason the devices are so popular among children is that…” or “The reason the children use the devices so actively is that…”
Be clear and logical. You can use the 5Why method or the Pareto diagram to determine the causes or effects. It is expedient to write down the first sentences of each paragraph in your outline to be able to keep your thoughts in a correct direction.
- Conclusion. In this part, your main purpose is to finish your essay with a flying color. It is your last chance to convince the readers or give them the question to think of. Here you can apply several approaches:
- Finish with your opinion about the topic at hand and explain why you think in that way.
- Ask the audience about their position relating this topic.
- Provide some other ideas and demonstrate why your idea superiors them.
- Ask the audience to imagine the situation where the discussed object or tendency would not exist.
You can finish your cause and effect research paper differently. The way you choose has to depend on the topic, your theses, and the purposes of your essay.
For instance, ask the readers to think about what the world would look like if the children were not allowed to use the gadgets and devices.
Writing tips for cause and effect essays
To master the cause and effect essay technology, you have to know several practical tips.
When choosing the title of your essay: be creative. If it is something boring, obvious or uninteresting, you will not get the desired audience. People do not read the papers with bad titles. Often times, it is reasonable to present your point of view in the title, like “Using the electronic devices by children promotes a quicker technological progress.”
When organizing the body paragraph: be logical. If you provide several causes, do not write them randomly. Move from the major cause to the minor one or vice versa. Keep your readers in a tension. Do not pay too much attention to the causes or effects that are commonly known. Remember the difference between cause and effect and never mix them up. Finally, make sure that you provide good evidence. They have to be interesting, clear, and persuasive.
When writing the conclusion: be interested. As you do not have to strongly prove each thesis, you can focus on explaining why the ideas you provide, desire to be taken into account. Here you can interact with the readers to show that their opinion is important to you.
To conclude, cause and effect essays are difficult but interesting. They provide a large room for research, experiments, analyses, and even creativity. However, you need some practice to be able to write such papers professionally. The tips from above will help you. If you want to write a perfect paper, you may look for simple cause and effect examples online or ask the writing service to help you with that.