Organic chemistry is an interesting discipline to learn, but it can be tough to remember a pile of reactions and understand the mechanism? Don’t worry, there is still a way to get good at this subject! In this guide, you can find organic chemistry basics and our tips about effective learning the organic chemistry section. Even if you feel totally confused and lost, we promise our methods will be helpful!
Actually, it’s easy to get lost in learning organic chemistry because it looks like a very long movie, and when you try to understand it by jumping in between, nothing seems logical. This discipline should be studied from the very beginning. Needless to say, you need a lot of patience and time for learning. It may seem to you it’s even impossible to remember all those complex reactions, but we assure you that everything is logical in organic chemistry, and you need just a little memorization to improve your knowledge. It’s important to start from the basics and move to more complex things, then it won’t seem so difficult to understand. Follow our tips and learn organic chemistry with pleasure!
8 Useful tips for learning organic chemistry
- Discover structure. For many students, organic chemistry seems a nightmare or a huge unknown wood because there are a lot of different compounds. If you are trying to remember them all, you will definitely get a mess. But it’s easier to memorize these compounds if to arrange them into groups depending on the structure. Thanks to the structure, you can define which reactions will be possible and which will not. That’s why it’s important to understand how to draw the structure of the certain compound from the name. Use this approach, and you will see things are simpler than it seems to you! Thanks to the bond line diagram, you can easily define such characteristics as atoms’ hybridization and bonds’ number, as well as see which part of the compound will be active in a particular reaction. We suggest making your organic chemistry notes in a copybook, this will help you to remember things easier.
- Start with the most simple things. Even if you have a big temptation to jump into things you don’t understand, you should start learning and reading basic things. Many students try to skip the beginning because they think it’s simple and they don’t need it, but we assure you: this is important. It’s possible to compare the organic chemistry with a pyramid. Without a solid and strong base, it’s top will fall down. That’s why you have to spend some time with reading the introduction and understanding the basic things. You will be pleasured how it’s simpler to understand the more tough material after you have learned the basic things.
- Make a chart of reactions. It’s important to create an organic chemistry reactions chart to remember all reagents. Do this diagram by yourself and it will be easier for you to remember different reagents that can oxidize, reduce, or dehydrate in various reactions.
- Remember the concept of acids and bases. If you will understand and remember this concept of Lewis, we assure that 90% of chemistry will be a piece of cake. More than half of this discipline is based on acids and bases reactions. Needless to say, you need a lot of organic chemistry reactions practice; this will help you to understand and remember all compounds.
- Try to understand things, but not memorize automatically. When you memorize things, it goes automatically, and over time, you may find out you forgot everything. Plus, memorization is a boring process. We suggest understanding information because it gives you more chances to remember even complex things and reactions. If you are learning organic chemistry through understanding the process of reactions, this discipline seems interesting and even exciting to you, but not boring and awful!
- Study organic chemistry with a partner. This will help you to understand the material much better. When you explain something to a classmate, this helps you to learn something new and get a stronger grasp on the subject. Needless to say, it’s more interesting to get together with other students to fulfill the project or write an organic chemistry reactions summary than sitting alone with a book and struggling to remember anything. Do your homework together and you will see the improvement!
- Ask your teacher for help. When you feel stuck with homework, don’t hesitate to ask your teacher or professor. Some students can be shy to do it because they think the teacher may be tired of such “stupid” questions. But on the contrary, a good teacher is always glad to answer any questions and provide you with more information about the particular subject. When you ask questions, you show your interest in a discipline, and any teacher will be happy to help!
- Use additional information. If you feel the information in your textbook is not enough to understand the material, search for additional sources to read. You can use various books on organic chemistry and surf the Internet to find and learn more!
I need help with my organic chemistry homework
Of course, there are situations when you may get a difficult task when you haven’t got enough time for learning and understanding it properly. Mastering organic chemistry requires a lot of patience, time, and skills for learning. What if something is missed, and you cannot fulfill your task? Calm down, there is still a great way to get a high grade! Just order your homework online and get a well-done task from the reliable writing company. A team of qualified experts will help you to create all the needed papers on various organic chemistry topics in time. Choose professional help and impress your teacher with a perfect homework!